Everyone makes mistakes. We know that. So why do some people make the same mistake over and over again, and kick themselves for it, while others are able to let it go, move on, and never make the same mistake again?
We know that mindset and emotional intelligence play a major role on how we deal with mistakes. Yet, while many of us take the time time to understand why their mistakes happened and vow they’ll never make them again, they do. Deja vu all over again. Whether it’s the same situation or a different situation, they make the same mistake, again and again.
That adds up to a lot of kicks in the head.
You know what Einstein said, “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
How do you get past it?
Being able to move on relies on being flexible enough to realize that you’re fallible. Admit you made a mistake and then forgive yourself. Learn to realize that in life, mistakes are allowed.
Once you’ve taken those steps, you can free your head to figure out what went wrong, why it went wrong and what you can do to make it better in a way that will fit into your vision, and benefit not only you but others too, be it your family, employees, customers, or the entire community. It will take effort, but it will be well worth it.
Mistakes can be a blessing in disguise and provide some of the greatest opportunities we have to succeed. But far too often, we miss the boat because we’re too busy beating ourselves up, and miss the bigger picture.
We need to regain perspective.
Change happens. Growth happen. Doors open; but only when you decide to put down the hammer, forgive yourself and move on. You’ll be amazed at how much clarity, perspective and energy you gain to work on solutions more positively, productively, and successfully.
Mistakes are merely part of the human condition. Use them to grow and you’ll learn to appreciate every one of them.
Here are some quotes to think about when the mistake monkeys try to get you down.
- “You make mistakes. Mistakes don’t make you.” – Maxwell Maltz
- “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”- Oscar Wilde
- “Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
- “Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” – Billy Wilder
- “Success does not consist in never making mistakes but in never making the same one a second time.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “If you don’t learn from your mistakes, then they become regrets.” – John Cena
- “We’re making the same mistakes we made 1,000 years ago. So they must be the right ones. So relax.” -Chuck Palahniuk
- “As long as the world is turning and spinning, we’re gonna be dizzy and we’re gonna make mistakes.” – Mel Brooks
- “Mistakes are the usual bridge between inexperience and wisdom.” – Phyllis Theroux
- “We’ve all heard that we have to learn from our mistakes, but I think it’s more important to learn from successes. If you learn only from your mistakes, you are inclined to learn only errors.” – Norman Vincent Peale